Here you can find up-to-date information about what St John’s is doing during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Worship and Prayer
The church is currently open for private prayer. Services will be available online:
- The Parish Mass at 10am on Sundays will be streamed on Facebook and uploaded to YouTube afterwards. The service booklet each week can be found on this page.
- Low Mass (Wednesdays and Saturdays at 10am) can be joined via Zoom. A link is distributed via the parish email, which you can sign up for here.
- For now, Christian Meditation remains on Zoom only.
- The church is open for private prayer between 8.45am and 5.30pm each day. Please use the alcohol hand gel provided, and observe social distancing. The church is cleaned each evening after the doors are shut.
Various precautions will be in place:
- Those who come to the Parish Mass on Sundays will be required to give their name and telephone number, which we will keep for 21 days, to enable tracing to take place if another worshipper displays symptoms of Covid-19.
- Worshippers will be required to sit in households or support bubbles, with two metres between groups.
- There will be no singing.
- Communion (bread only) will be brought to people’s seats.
- Those who use a toilet will need to disinfect it afterwards.
- There will be no refreshments after services.
- When necessary, separate doors will be used for entrance and exit, and doors will be left open for ventilation.
From 1st August, face coverings are mandatory in all parts of the church buildings.
From 5th August, The Hive will provide a 2-course takeaway meal on Wednesdays at 1:00pm. We currently cannot offer any recreational activities, but will resume them as soon as it is safe to do so.
Foodbanks have reported a significant increase in demand during the pandemic, as many people have found themselves unemployed or on a reduced income. Now we have reopened our doors, you can donate food for Norwood and Brixton Foodbank, but you can also donate money in the following ways:
- By phone:
Text dinner 5 to 70085 to donate £5
Text dinner 10 to 70085 to donate £10
- Online through the Foodbank’s Virgin Money charity page.
- By cheque or standing order: information here
- Through Bankuet, which provides the Foodbank with exactly what they need
Supporting St John’s
Most of our normal expenditure hasn’t gone away (insurance, Parish Support Fund, building maintenance), but we have lost all the income we usually receive from hiring out the hall and the church.
Therefore more than ever we need your support to keep St John’s running until things are back to normal. If you are able to give any amount, either as a one-off or more regularly, please donate.